Wednesday, May 24, 2006

LET HIM EAT CAKE

Friendly was dope sick the day before her birthday, but still managed to get on the bus. I had a nice day at Wolf lake planned, complete with gifts and a cake with her name scribed in blue icing. Because it was her day i didn't bring up any of the many issues I had spinning around in my head. When we first hooked up I told her I could accept most things in this "relationship". The only thing i asked is that she tell me the truth. My experience with Dr. Stripper had taught me just how vulnerable i could be to surprises. Now, i found myself in the same situation, unable to believe her, no matter how much i wanted to. All the red flags were flying.
A few weeks before her birthday i had introduced her to my folks, when she assured me she was leaving Jeeves. Star busted my balls for the 17 year age difference and the old man asked her "Which one are you?", but otherwise they were happy if I was happy. I was happy...I think.
The day at the lake was perfect. We fucked AND made love, ate cake and layed in the sun. I gave her little gifts like a golden hammer charm and even cut one of the gold coins, from the folk's 50th, in half for her. For dinner I took her to a local steakhouse and we gourged ourselves. By the time we got back to Glen Wild for the sunset, Friendly'd turned silent. "I have to get the bus." she finally said. "I'm sorry." That steak was still churning in my gut, as i kissed her goodbye at the station. I felt confident we were over the hump. Things were going to work out.
The next night I went back to the lake to change the sheets and watch TV. She always called at least once a day, so i called home to get my messages. YOU HAVE ONE MESSAGE. "Christie. Hi. It's me. I'm sorry. I can't do this anymore. Please don't call. I love you." I sat there, stunned. She had ended it with a phone message? What kind of crappy, chickenshit, cowardly....? I got in the car and went home. By the time I got home there was another message on the machine. "Hi baby. It's me again. I'm sorry for that message. I was under the gun- so to speak. The next time you see me I'll be a single woman. I love you soooo much. Bye." OK. False alarm. She WAS taking care of business. I cut myself a piece of her birthday cake and went to sleep a happy man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home