Friday, May 05, 2006

HUNTING JOURNAL- DAY 5

4:55 am- alarm rings. Get up. Coffee. 55 degrees and partly cloudy. BBC news- Top story- 3/4 of East Timor capitol empties after rumors circulate that out of work soldiers are going on a rampage. Rumors turn out to be false, but it's too late to stop people from hitailing it into the woods.
Drive to Ray's and immediately hear the bird gobbling up on the ridge. Then I hear the one across the river. I position myself between the two and call. A jake and 4 hens fly across the river to me, but no tom. The one on the ridge shuts up.
8:30 am. Call it quits and head home. More coffee. Write blog. Smoke last night's roach and eat a piece of the bird i shot on Wed., who I've already smoked in the meat smoker.
9:45 am. Take gun out of car and replace with guitar. Go to Kiamesha Lake for 10:00 am lesson. Work on bar cords, scales and run through Melissa by the Allman brothers. I suck.
11:00 am Lesson's over. On the way home a monster tom walks in front of my car just above the one lane bridge. I rush home, grab my gun and camo and drive back to the spot i saw him go in the woods. I load the gun and make a call. He roars back. I have to get in the woods a bit in order to make a legal shot. He's just over a little rise. I camo up and creep to a large rock. Just as I peer over the top he makes me. He's standing right in a clearing. I don't even have time to raise the gun before he's gone. Drive home dejected. End Day 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home