Friday, April 21, 2006

BIRTH OF THE LGM

The Church of the Little Green Man was named after The Green Man bar in the movie Wicker Man, which we happened to be watching that day in my apartment. Chuckles and i were the prime functionarys. Chuck made a few calls and we found a place that would host our first service. Gary Okie ran a club called Darinka on First and First. I called Bimmy, Hoss and Horrible Uncle Pee-Pee and we had the church band. We rigged a dollar burning flame, xeroxed a couple of dozen programs and invites, wrote a hymn or two and we were ready to petition the Lord once again.
The last thing I wanted to do was some parody of a church. There was already churches like The Church of the Sub Genius and Performance art ministers like Rev. Billy, who filled that role. I wanted this to be a "real" church...whatever that meant. It was the Xmas holidays by the time we held our first service and judging from the enthusiastic congregation we had hit on something. No one knew what to expect and we had no idea what we were doing, so it seemed like a perfect fit. The money burned. The people filed in and took their seats. The Casio SK 50 was fired up and we took the altar just about the time that acid was kicking in.
BNJulie and i had finally called it a day. She wouldn't leave Rochester and it just didn't seem fair to me, now that I was single. Those pheromones had done a number on me. Whatever you call it- love, lust, need, when it went away I took it hard. The final scene had the two of us standing in the pouring rain on E8th St., after I had discovered Rochester was still in the picture. She was great at turning on the tears when cornered. I wasn't having it and let loose with a bitch slap. That was it. The tears stopped and it would be years before I saw her again. I blamed myself for being too weak to contain my emotions (and right hand). I don't know who she blamed. Probably me, also.
Luckily the distraction of starting a church and a rock band took my mind off of my miserable love life. i still painted Kristan Kohl paintings and Chuck wrote an article for High Times about the discovery of a cache KK paintings found in a bowling alley in Millbrook. She did more work dead than alive. Purple Geezus played all the local venues- CBGBs, The Palladium, The Cat Club, and any number of bars and one night stands that would have us. When the holidays were over, the church went on hiatus. Then, one night playing a small seedy place called The Love Club I met a girl sitting by herself at the front table. "Hi, I'm Christmo." I said sitting down. "Pleased to meet you." she said sticking out her manicured hand. "I'm Baby-Baby."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home