Saturday, April 15, 2006

LAST YEAR I HAD A HEADACHE. BUT I'M ALRIGHT NOW.

Every denomination had their little quirks. The Franciscans were all hairshirt, flowers and Birkenstocks. The Jesuits were dry eggheads. The Baptists were bloody fire and brimstone and the Presbyterians huggy, covered dish and hot tub folks. I fit in as best i could with everyone and every time I presented a paper i looked upon it as an opportunity to do a little performance. For Hindu class i brought in a goldfish swimming in his bowl, that I carried in a bowling ball bag. I removed the bowl, lit a cigar and launched into a critical diatribe against following gurus. I got a C in that class. I wanted to get a lion and chain him up in the commons, but it would've cost $1000 to rent one from the local lion safari park and I DID want to graduate.
In June of 1983 I decided one year in Seminary was enough. I took my CTS and bolted. The SF gallery was becoming boring and i was searching for something to inspire me. During my period on Holy Hill I had adopted a boy from the Christian Children's Fund. This piece was only about me sending money to the kid and recieving letters, none of the one on one, like with Darrell. After I graduated I stopped sending the money. The period in Seminary dictated the amount of time I would send the checks. Cookie and I had settled into a calm domestic pattern but I wasn't mature enough to appreciate it. I longed for those late night visits to the emergency room and make up sex. I needed a vacation from myself.
In the Fall we flew back east to visit the folks and check out the NYC art scene. I'd heard through the grapevine that NYC artists were establishing a new gallery district in the East Village. When i saw the funky little storefronts bordering Tompkin's Sq. Park I knew this was the place for me. I hustled some funds from an old friend in Woodstock and sent Cookie back to SF to pack up. By the time I'd rented a storefront on E9th and Ave. A and set up shop, the money person got cold feet and left me hanging. Luckily the old man's company had gone public in the 80's and he had the cash to save my ass. By Jan. 1984 MO DAVID, INC.- NYC was open to the public. By luck I'd hit another scene smack on the tip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home