Monday, February 20, 2006

HOME COOKIN'

I think it was Homer who said "I enjoy all the meats of our cultural stew." I concur. I feel like I've been on a bit of a rubber band culinary tour of America. First it was beer and bar food in PA. Then it was fine country club fare in WV. Then, for the past few days Sweets has been cooking up a storm of local Texas delicacys. First it was that armidillo out on the road that the buzzards seemed so interested in. "Texas speed bump stew" she called it. "Long as it doesn't sit in the sun too long it's quite tastey." Sweets assured me. Then we had a little rattlesnake pie and hush puppies with a kinda mystery gravy. Best not to ask too many questions I find when chowing down in Texas.
Today I continue on to Austin where my friend the gun runner is out of town so I'm staying with his wife and kids out in the boonies. "Cross the low water creek and turn left at the junk car and trash heap." his wife directed me.
I don't think we'll be dining at the club tonight. People here in TX are really friendly. I don't miss the surly check out girls of NY at all. My plan is to cross the Mex. border by Thurs. Sweets made me a little cold critter sandwich to take with me. Yoko and Little Dog stare up at me all googly eyed and slobbering. Off I go, belly full and tears in my eyes. Hope the gun runner's wife can cook half as good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home