Saturday, March 18, 2006

THE HORSEY SET

The mountains and plains of Wyoming eventually give way to Nebraska corn stubble and the landscape once more becomes familiar. Tunnel vision is taking hold and I had to harness the momentum in order to head north into Chicago.Traffic and forward motion almost caused me to bypass my friends Paul and Sarah in Chi town. But once I parked the car and humped my guitar and bag up their three flights of stairs I was glad I stopped. Paul pulled out the good whiskey and I twisted one. Sarah demured and informed me "We're trying to get pregnant." I told her she didn't have to stop drinking until she WAS pregnant. Before you could say "The stick is pink." she burst into the kitchen with the good news. Now she had a legitimate reason not to drink. More for Paul and I.
The next day we drove up to the stable where they both work and keep their horse Nico. They are serious horsey people. Both are experts and Sarah cuts an amazing figure on top of Nico. And I have to say Nico is a step above your average glue factory nag. I stood there freezing my ass off as Sarah put Nico through her paces and Paul critiqued Sarah. It was like American Idol on horseback. It's certainly not the rode hard and hung up wet scene. The horse and rider are amazing athletes and Paul quite a good coach.
This is my last stop before heading for home and I have to admit I'm getting homesick. I miss the cats and my woodstove,and all the kin and of course Shewho. The trip has been incredible and 9000 miles in I'm itching to park the car and give us both a rest. But I don't want to let down my guard just yet. At least another days driving to go and a lot can happen in a day. I hope Paris and Nicole remember me. Daddy's coming.

1 Comments:

Blogger burnt tortilla said...

christ-mo:
i had a run-in with this horse

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home