Tuesday, January 24, 2006

SALVADOR

Estimated day of departure: Monday Feb. 6. Eye doctor- Thurs. Car check up- Friday. I start to make the calls. The first hitch in plans is the fact that I need a letter of permission to take my totally financed car out of the country. I have to insure it in each country and supply detailed information on how I can be reached at all times. It's worse than my mother. The bank wants me to call every day. My mother said email was OK. So now I'm thinking drive to Texas. Leave the car at my buddy's place in Austin, buy a junker pickup and take that into Mexico. Go as far as it will take me. If I make it to San Salvador, sell it and fly back to Austin, pick up my car and drive west to LA and SF. Sound good? I got room in the back.
My first stop will be at the Slab compound in Austin. I just thought of that. Austin, PA to Austin, TX. A sign? My friend in PA is a guitar player, singer, electric banjo picking fool I've known since my band days in the EV. I ask how he's been? "Have I talked to you since I went to jail?" he responds. We catch up and he says i can stay and we'll play some music, etc. I'm not sure what the etc. means. "I'm not exactly on the way to El Salvador." he says when I explain my trip. Ah, but he's wrong. He's exactly on the way.
Next stop West Virginia to see a childhood friend, a big shot lawyer with a lovely family and hopefully soft guest bed. I'll probably just spend the night and get back on the road. Due south through the Smokeys into Knoxville, where I lived before Baltimore, then Nashville- maybe a little music biz schoomze, or open mic. (or not), Memphis, and end up in Austin to plan my next move. OK, I'll make room in the front. Come oooon. I'll have you back by trout season.
During this travel period I will not be blogging as extensively. I have to keep my eyes on the road. I also hope to be writing this screenplay of Carlito's journey at 14, with two other 14 year olds, in a 1954 Chevy convertible, from El Salvador to Brooklyn in 1973. I don't know what it's called yet, but by the time I reach Holliwood i want to have something to hand to somebody. I'm excited. Did I mention that my friend in TX is a heavily tattooed, shaved headed gun dealer, with a company called Terror,Inc.? OK. You can drive. I'll roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home